[libvirt-users] Re: [Libvir] libvirt & vde_switch

Nicolas Sebrecht nsebrecht at piing.fr
Wed Apr 6 08:34:06 UTC 2011

The 05/04/11, Robert Šmol wrote:

> I would like to ask about status of VDE and libvirt. I found a
> thread from http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2008-February/msg00030.html.

AFAIK, vde_switch is still unsupported by libvirt and nobody seems to
work on it these days.

Most people wanting vde_switch (or open vswitch) enough leave libvirt.

> I am not interested in connecting the VDE to the outside world. I
> have created a FW machine using macvtap. To this machine I would
> like to attach machines from different zones (dmz, prod, cust).  I
> was thinking on using VDE and vlans (FW would have 1 interface in
> each vlan - machines also), but I am not aware how to configure this
> in libvirt.
>
> I now assume I can do the same setup with regular bridges for the
> moment

Yes, this is what I do for now.

>        (benefit of VDE would be only 1 switch for many vlans).

Plus more features (i.e.: easy virtual switch link between hosts),
maintenance facilities, etc.

--
Nicolas Sebrecht