[libvirt-users] CPU Model detection with virsh capabilities

Olivier BONHOMME obonhomme at nerim.net
Tue Aug 2 08:51:13 UTC 2011

Hello everybody,

I am a new user discovering libvirt with KVM software. During my first
VM creation, I saw an issue with virsh that I can't understand.

I wanted to emulate another CPU than the classical qemu32 using virsh.
So I used the virsh capabilites command to detect how is detected my CPU
host which is an Intel Xeon E5410 and my problem is that this CPU is
detected only with the cpumodel "pentium3".

But if use the kvm -cpu ? command, it returns me the following
capabilities :

$ kvm -cpu ?
x86           qemu64
x86           phenom
x86         core2duo
x86            kvm64
x86           qemu32
x86          coreduo
x86              486
x86          pentium
x86         pentium2
x86         pentium3
x86           athlon
x86             n270

Moreover, if i decide to use the pentium3 cpumodel for my KVM VM, the
CentOS freeze during its loading.

My libvirt and kvm are the following on a Debian Squeeeze :

$ virsh version
Compiled against library: libvir 0.8.3
Using library: libvir 0.8.3
Using API: QEMU 0.8.3
Running hypervisor: QEMU 0.12.5

Does anybody already had the same issue or am I doing anything wrong ?

Thanks for your answers

Regards,
Olivier BONHOMME