[libvirt-users] the naming convention libvirt names a block based storage volume

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Aug 10 09:20:10 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 03:28:50PM -0700, Yih-Herng Chuang wrote:

> Seems like different libvirt versions generate a storage volume name in
> different format.  We would like to learn how libvirt names a storage
> volume under a block based storage pool.  So that we may properly extract
> the LUN identifier out of the volume name for now and in the future.
>
> On host A loaded with libvirt 0.8.7
> # virsh vol-list SanPool1
> Name Path
> unit:0:0:11 /dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x600a0b800013071a000035ec4e32b832

This is the new naming scheme which we plan to stick with long
term. The key point of the naming scheme is that the name is
stable across reboots, and across login/logout of iSCSI targets.

> On host B loaded with libvirt 0.8.1
>
> # virsh vol-list SanPool1
> Name Path
> 1.0.0.0 /dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x60080e500017e1d40000d0b74d873b13

This was the old method, which was broken, because we should not
have been including the HBA number in the name (the leading '1'
here). The HBA number changes every time you login to an iSCSI
target, or everytime an NPIV HBA is created, so it resulted in
an unstable name which changed frequently

Daniel