[libvirt-users] Associating a statefile with an image

sethuraman subbiah sethusubbiah at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 01:06:32 UTC 2011

On 2 August 2011 18:28, sethuraman subbiah <sethusubbiah at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2011, at 5:29 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
>
> > [re-adding the list]

> freeze this weekend, then a release around the first of August.

> > Using --inactive here only works if you haven't made any changes to the
> inactive configuration that differs from the currently running domain. I'd
> amend this step to 'virsh dumpxml dom > file.xml' for both of these
> examples.

> > These two examples will be supported in 0.9.4.  Additionally, I added:
> >
> > virsh save-file-dumpxml dom.save > file.xml
> > virsh save-file-define dom.save file.xml
> > virsh save-file-edit dom.save
> >
> > to do things inline, and to make it so you don't have to remember to
> 'virsh dumpxml dom' prior to 'virsh save'.

I tried changing the disk image and it works fine. But if I try to change
the mac address , I get error: unsupported configuration. My aim was to
perform cloning and change the mac of the cloned image and also doing some
changes inside the vm to make sure it obtains a new ip. Is there a
possibility to get this working with the current API ?

> >> I found that the latest libvirt (libvirt 0.9.4) is out.
> >
> > That's amazing, considering it hasn't been released yet :)  Maybe you are
> referring to 0.9.4-rc2 instead?  But at any rate, the official 0.9.4 will
> probably be released tomorrow with even more bug fixes above 0.9.4-rc2.
> >
> Yeah , I was referring to 0.9.4-rc2 :) I will install the official libvirt
> 0.9.4 tomorrow .
> > > I tried installing in my Centos 5.6 machine. After a successful
> installation, when I start virsh , I get :
> >>
> >> virsh: /lib/libvirt.so.0: version `LIBVIRT_PRIVATE_0.8.2' not found
> (required by virsh)
> >>
> >> Is it possible to get the latest version of libvirt 0.9.4 work on Centos
> 5.6 ?  Thanks a lot for your help.
> >
> > Yes, it should be possible, although I haven't tried it myself on centos
> (but I have tried on RHEL 5.7).  Are you sure you installed your self-built
> libvirt.so correctly?  We take great pains to ensure that libvirt.so is
> backwards compatible (no symbols are ever removed).
> >
> I think so, I installed libvirt 0.9.4-rc2 on Centos 6 and it worked fine. I
> tried installing in Centos 5.6 (It had libvirt already installed through
> yum) . I did yum remove libvirt. Then I did ./configure --prefix = / , make
> , make install , ldconfig. When I enter virsh after finishing these steps, I
> get that error. I am not sure whether I am committing a mistake in-between.
> Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.
> > --
> > Eric Blake   eblake at redhat.com    +1-801-349-2682
> > Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org

Thanks a lot for your time.