[libvirt-users] Re: Question about terminology

Nicolas Sebrecht nsebrecht at piing.fr
Tue Aug 16 07:59:57 UTC 2011

The 15/08/11, Jeff wrote:
> I'm having a minor disagreement with a colleague over terminology.
>
> When you have a group of KVM Hosts which have access to the same network and storage (for purposes of migration) yet there is no clusterware or HA software involved...how does one refer to this group of hosts? I call them a "Host Group." He insists on the term "Cluster."
>
> To me, "cluster" indicates the presence of an HA solution such as RHCS or VCS and using the term when neither exist would generate confusion.  He insists that since VMWare refers to the same configuration as a "cluster" that this is how we should refer to it with regard to KVM.
>
> Wouldn't be that big of a deal, except that I'm trying to develop operational documentation.  Anyone else out there have suggestions?

I would tend to agree with your colleague. A cluster doesn't imply HA
and it's more about network nodes working with each other to provide any
kind of service, IMHO. I don't know VMWare. Cluster is a vague term.

That beeing said, you can use whatever you want in your documentation as
long as you clearly define the terms in it. ,-p

--
Nicolas Sebrecht