[libvirt-users] Detaching LVM volume from Windows guest

mkey mkey at inter7.jp
Sat Aug 20 01:32:14 UTC 2011

Hello,

I have some difficulties regarding to above title. Windows as guest OS
is running on KVM(Ubuntu natty).
After attaching LVM volume to guest OS and did "safely remove device" in
guest windows, detaching volume was failed.

> root at localhost:/opt/win# virsh detach-disk testwin vdc
> error: Failed to detach disk
> errpr: operation failed: detaching virtio-disk2 device failed: Device
'virtio-disk2' not found

But kvm(qemu?) seems like detaching device successfully.
> root at localhost:/opt/win# virsh qemu-monitor-command testwin 'info block'
> drive-virtio-disk0: type=hd removable=0
file=/opt/win/win2008server.virtio.img ro=0 drv=qcow2 encrypted=0

So, problem is, libvirt doesn't know detaching, but kvm(qemu) knows.
Again, please let me know if anybody has workaround.

P.S. at some website, I found "hotunplugging is not supported in current
libvirt", is that related on this matter?

Regards,
mkey