[libvirt-users] libvirt ruby binding with vmware

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 23 19:16:14 UTC 2011

2011/8/23 Ohad Levy <ohadlevy at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
> I've been trying to use the ruby libvirt binding with vmware esx on F15,
> however it doesnt seems to work, I get:
> Libvirt::ConnectionError: Call to virConnectOpen failed: Cannot access CA
> certificate '/etc/pki/CA/cacert.pem': No such file or directory
> I've using the same uri with virsh and it works.
> it seems like somehow the no_verify is not passed, or we are back to old
> libvirt error messages :)
> any idea?
> thanks,
> Ohad

As the ESX driver documentation says, you need to use
virConnectOpenAuth (what virsh does by default). You're error message
talks about virConnectOpen so there is your problem. You need to use
virConnectOpenAuth with the Ruby Bindings too.

Until libvirt 0.9.2 the ESX driver declines connection attempts when
virConnectOpen is used. Since 0.9.2 this is reported as the error it
actually is.

When the ESX driver declines the connection attempt libvirt will end
up trying to connect to a non-existing libvirtd on the ESX server in
order to find a driver that accepts the connection attempt. By default
it uses TLS for this and that's why it's looking for TLS certificates.
This is not related to the no_verify option.

So you're probably using libvirt < 0.9.2 and are using virConnectOpen
instead of virConnectOpenAuth.

--
Matthias Bolte
http://photron.blogspot.com