[libvirt-users] New with Libvirt and having problems.

Kevins Thoughts thoughts at kevinsthoughts.com
Tue Aug 30 05:01:19 UTC 2011

> Ah I never gave KVM or virtualization a try in Gentoo.  None of my
> servers have X though using X11 forwarding still works.  In CentOS the
> package is xorg-x11-xauth  , looks like it may be x11-apps/xauth in
> Gentoo.
No X anywhere in my environment <smile>.  Somehow I normally manage!

> Does "virsh iface-list" show tap5?
Actually that command errors out:

/virsh # iface-list
error: Failed to list active interfaces
error: this function is not supported by the connection driver:
virConnectNumOfInterfaces/

> For the disk, this is what I have for my virtio disks...
>
> <disk type='file' device='disk'>
> <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2'/>
> <source file='/vmstore/images/domain0001.qcow2'/>
> *<target dev='vdb' bus='virtio'/>*
> <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06'
> function='0x0'/>
> </disk>

My XML had the type wrong, setting it to raw.

Alas, I still see the invoked KVM being passed:

/-drive
file=/kvms/test1.img,if=none,id=drive-virtio-disk0,boot=on,format=qcow2 /

The "if=none" is the problem, it needs to be "if=virtio".  KVM is also
still being passed the "-S" flag as its first parameter, so the CPUs are
not starting.

> Also maybe add something like this to your virt-install line...
>
> "--disk path=test1.img,device=disk,bus=virtio"

At this point, I'm just editing the XML, its easier.  Once I get one
working, I can tweak for the others.  Virt-install at least got me started.

Kevin