[libvirt-users] for a guest accessing host "full disk", how to prevent host vgscan

David Mansfield libvirt at dm.cobite.com
Wed Dec 21 22:23:33 UTC 2011

Hi All.

I have a dell system with a H700 raid.  Within the hardware RAID config
I've created a "virtual disk" which I have assigned to one of my
guests.  On the host the device is "/dev/sdb", on the guest it's "/dev/vdb".

This works fine.

Within the guest, we have created lvm PV on /dev/vdb (using the whole
disk - no partitions) and created a volume group.  The guest's hostname
is "argo" and the vg is called "vg_argo_bkup".

When I reboot the host, it does a vgscan and finds the volume group and
activates it in the _host_, which I need to prevent (I think??).

I have successfully done this by filtering "/dev/sdb" in
/etc/lvm/lvm.conf (which does NOT work as advertised BTW), but
referencing the extremely volatile SCSI "sd*" names seems a terrible way
to do this.  If I fiddle around in the HW raid config, the /dev/sd? may
change.

I plan on creating about 10 more VM's spread over a number of machines
over the next weeks with a very similar setup, and the admin overhead
seems like it'll be onerous and error-prone.

I'd love to be able to filter the volume groups by VG name instead of pv
device node.  The host's hostname is "narnia" and I'd love to say,
'vgscan --include-regex "vg_narnia.*"' or something similar, if you get
my drift.

Does anyone have a best practice for this?  I'm sure iSCSI enthusiasts
must have the exact same issue all the time.

Oh... I'm using centos 6.2 on host and guest,
libvirt-0.9.4-23.el6_2.1.x86_64, although it hardly seems a libvirt
issue at all, it seems to be a lvm host issue mainly.

Thanks,
David Mansfield