[libvirt-users] Issue with IPMI (and KVM) on RHEL 6

Jawahar Tadipatri jtadipa at ncsu.edu
Wed Dec 21 21:57:14 UTC 2011

Hi folks,
We experiencing some difficulties in getting IPMI to work on RHEL 6 running
as Guest using KVM. We have verified that IPMI works on RHEL 6 if installed
on bare metal.
Is this a known issue? Can anyone please suggest a fix or work-around for
this problem?

*RHEL 6 as guest os with kvm on RHEL 6 as host os -- doesn't work*
RHEL 6 (client) on bare metal (i.e., the above mentioned host os)-- works

Below is the the output of the command (just an indication that it failed)
and relevant part of dmesg .

# service ipmi start
Starting ipmi drivers:                                     [FAILED]

# dmesg | tail -12
ipmi message handler version 39.2
IPMI System Interface driver.
ipmi_si: Adding default-specified kcs state machine
ipmi_si: Trying default-specified kcs state machine at i/o address 0xca2,
slave address 0x0, irq 0
ipmi_si: Interface detection failed
ipmi_si: Adding default-specified smic state machine
ipmi_si: Trying default-specified smic state machine at i/o address 0xca9,
slave address 0x0, irq 0
ipmi_si: Interface detection failed
ipmi_si: Adding default-specified bt state machine
ipmi_si: Trying default-specified bt state machine at i/o address 0xe4,
slave address 0x0, irq 0
ipmi_si: Interface detection failed
ipmi_si: Unable to find any System Interface(s)

Please revert if any more information is needed.

Thanks and Regards,
Jawahar