[libvirt-users] Error when creating domain with virsh+qemu

Stefano Ghio steghio at eng.it
Thu Dec 22 12:18:45 UTC 2011

Cheers,

I'm working on Ubuntu server 11.10 32 bit with libvirt 0.9.2 and
qemu-kvm 0.14.1. I have a user oneadmin:oneadmin who also belongs to kvm
and libvirtd groups. I have set qemu.conf and libvirtd.conf with
user/group oneadmin.

I have disk.0 and deployment.0 files owned by oneadmin. My system does
not support hardware virtualization so I don't have /dev/kvm. I'm able
to start VM with qemu anyways but when issuing the command:

virsh -c qemu:///system create deployment.0

I get:

error: Failed to create domain from deployment.0
error: internal error process exited while connecting to monitor:
13:00:52.354:1291: info: libvirt version: 0.9.2
13:00:52.371: 1291: debug : virCommandHook:1826 : Waiting on parent for
handshake complete on 23
13:00:52.371: 1291: debug : virCommandHook:1842 : Hook is done 0
open /dev/kvm: No such file or directory
failed to initialize KVM: Operation not permitted

"error while connecting to monitor" looks to me as something
permission-related but I tried a lot of combinations between the qemu
and libvirt conf files and nothing worked (yes, I always restarted the
system after every change).

If I start the same image with sudo /usr/bin/qemu-system-i386 -hda
disk.img -boot d -m 384 it works

Any help?

Thanks
--
Dr. Stefano Ghio - ENG Engineering Italy

Website: http://groglogs.blogspot.com/

*If you received this message but you are not its recipient, please
ignore it and warn me, thank you.*