[libvirt-users] network-performance

Francesc Guasch frankie at etsetb.upc.edu
Wed Feb 2 08:44:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 02:33:28PM -0500, Brian K. White wrote:
> On 2/1/2011 12:39 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> >I'm just starting to take a look at guest networking performance and am
> >a little disappointed. I'm comparing two setups:
> >
> >Host: Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V
> >Host: CentOS 5.5 x86_64 kvm running libvirt
>
> First thing is to stop unfairly comparing things that don't even
> claim to do the same job. hyper-v is a hypervisor, while kvm is not,
> xen is.

Hi Brian, I don't want to sound picky, but I did a quick search in the
KVM documentation and I couldn't find what category KVM is. I really
thought it was playing the same league as Xen.

That's from the KVM faq:

http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/FAQ#What_is_the_difference_between_KVM_and_Xen.3F

    Xen is an external hypervisor ...
    On the other hand, KVM is part of Linux and uses the regular Linux
    scheduler and memory ...

I just found this Linux Journal article:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9764

    KVM is a unique hypervisor. ...