[libvirt-users] Clarification about virsh migration options

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Sat Feb 12 08:41:10 UTC 2011

On 11/02/2011, at 9:04 PM, Osier Yang wrote:
<snip>

>> But what does 'persistent' mean? I mean, when transferring a VM to a
>> destination, it will be available on the destination when migration
>> completes, so what does 'persistent' mean in this context?
>
> It means the domain conf will be saved on your disk, e.g.
> /etc/libvirt/qemu/$domain.xml. Without specifying it, your
> domain will be disappear after destroying, that means your
> domain is transicient, opposite meaning of persistent.

This might help explain the difference as well:

  http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/VM_lifecycle#Transient_guest_domains_vs_Persistent_guest_domains

There is also migration info on that page, but it's fairly basic so
not sure how useful.  Worth checking, just in case though. :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift