[libvirt-users] monitiring cpu usage via cgroup

Zvi Dubitzky DUBI at il.ibm.com
Tue Feb 15 07:52:51 UTC 2011

Hi

I was asking about the fedora 14 kernel if it is good enough for cgroup
usage because
I am trying to set a cgroup  under  cpu subsytem ( /dev/cgroup/cpu/group1/
) that have   /cpu.rt_runtime_us of 100000
while cpu.rt_period_us has a value of 1000000 i.e a ratio of 1/10 . still
when I run a task (endless loop) in that group
(cgexec -g cpu,cpuset:group1 ./test)  it gets all the cpu core time that
is assigned to it ( i watch via top utility)  , so it seems
that the quota set via the group does not take effect although I restart
the cgconfig service .
I also verified   libcgroup is installed by:  rpm -q libcgroup

Am I missing something or top is not the right utility to  watch the cpu
usage in this case ?

thanks

Zvi Dubitzky
Email:dubi at il.ibm.com