[libvirt-users] network-performance

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Tue Feb 1 17:39:02 UTC 2011

I'm just starting to take a look at guest networking performance and am a
little disappointed.  I'm comparing two setups:

Host: Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V
Guest: CentOS 5.5 x86_64

Host: CentOS 5.5 x86_64 kvm running libvirt
Guest: CentOS 5.5 x86_64

The guests are essentially identical except that I'm running the Microsoft
Linux Integration Components synthetic drivers on the windows hosted VM.  The
libvirt setup uses bridged networking.  Running bonnie++ on a nfs mounted
filesystem on each guest I'm seeing the libvirt hosted guest get between
16%-35% of the performance of the Hyper-V guest.  Is this expected?  Is there
anything I can do to increase network performance of the kvm guest?

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com