[libvirt-users] Not getting a virsh console

Nikunj A. Dadhania nikunj at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Feb 2 04:34:44 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am seeing a problem with a earlier working domain configuration. Here
is the  domain xml file. I am not getting the virsh console now. I am
trying this on RHEL 6.0.

Here is the list of steps that I am using:

[root at krm1 test]# virsh define vmtest.xml
Domain vmtest3 defined from vmtest.xml

[root at krm1 test]# virsh start vmtest3
Domain vmtest3 started

[root at krm1 test]# virsh console vmtest3
Connected to domain vmtest3
Escape character is ^]

[root at krm1 test]# virsh dominfo vmtest3
Id:             2
Name:           vmtest3
UUID:           2b38ff93-1bc6-c78c-1ed8-ffb936c86dac
OS Type:        hvm
State:          running
CPU(s):         1
CPU time:       17.3s
Max memory:     524288 kB
Used memory:    524288 kB
Persistent:     yes
Autostart:      disable

[root at krm1 test]#

The state of the domain shows running. One more thing that i noted was
that qemu-kvm is consuming 100% of the cpu. So not sure if the qemu-kvm
has started properly. I am not sure how to debug the issue. Would
appreciate some help on this.

Some more information:

I have attached following file /var/log/libvirt/qemu/vmtest3.log

Executing the following command on the bash works fine and the VM comes up:
/usr/libexec/qemu-kvm  -M rhel6.0.0 -enable-kvm -m 512 -smp 1,sockets=1,cores=1,threads=1 -drive file=/home/bharata/cgroup-scalability/test/test.qcow2  -nographic

While executing the command in the vmtest3.log, the VM does not come at
all.

Here is the domain xml:

<domain type='kvm'>
  <name>vmtest3</name>
  <memory>524288</memory>
  <vcpu>1</vcpu>
  <os>
    <type arch='i686'>hvm</type>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/libexec/qemu-kvm</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2'/>
      <source file='/home/bharata/cgroup-scalability/test/test.qcow2'/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
    </disk>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target port='0'/>