[libvirt-users] How to retrieve Memory stat of the KVM using python binding with Libvirt API

arpita k arpitak29 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 12:09:43 UTC 2011

Hi ,

I am using ubuntu host machine and KVM is present as guest in that
machine.Two virtual machines are there.I am using Python binding to query on
the hypervisor and extract the VM related information.I like to print memory
stat of the VM  like  SWAP_IN , SWAP_OUT,free memory, mem cached etc.So, the
code, I have written for this, is :

#!/usr/local/bin/python
import libvirt
import sys

conn = libvirt.openReadOnly(None)
if conn == None:
    print "Failed to open connection to the hypervisor"
    sys.exit(1)

try:
    domIds = conn.listDomainsID()

    for id in domIds:

        dom0 = conn.lookupByID(id)

        try:
            print "memory stats: %s"% dom0.memoryStats().values()
        except:
            print 'Failed to find the memory data of this domain'
            sys.exit(1)

except:
    print 'Failed to find the main domain'
    sys.exit(1)

But this code 'dom0.memoryStats().values()' is returning empty list.I need
to collect more information regarding the memory .How should I proceed?

Regards,
Arpita