[libvirt-users] connecting to virtualbox with libvirt

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Mon Feb 14 12:39:38 UTC 2011

On 14/02/2011, at 3:50 PM, Gary Scarborough wrote:
> I am trying to connect to the virtualbox hypervisor through libvirt.  If I am doing it correctly,
>
> virsh -c vbox:///session
>
> should get me connected.  I am on F14 64 bit.  I tried this with both vbox 3.2 and 4.02.  I keep getting the following error:
>
> error: no connection driver available for vbox:///session.
>
> What am I missing?

It looks like the version of libvirt you are using doesn't have the VirtualBox driver compiled in.

To easily check, do a "virsh -V" to list what's included in the version you have.

For example, on F13 with a recently compiled development version of libvirt:

  $ virsh -V
  Virsh command line tool of libvirt 0.8.7
  See web site at http://libvirt.org/

  Compiled with support for:
   Hypervisors: QEmu/KVM UML OpenVZ VirtualBox LXC Test
   Networking: Remote Daemon Network Bridging Netcf Nwfilter VirtualPort
   Storage: Dir Filesystem SCSI Multipath LVM
   Miscellaneous: SELinux Secrets Debug

"VirtualBox" is in the Hypervisor line, so I'd be ok.  You might need to (re)compile the
libvirt you're using.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift