[libvirt-users] LXC libvirt support

Nirmal Guhan vavatutu at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 01:47:43 UTC 2011

2011/2/11 Nirmal Guhan <vavatutu at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Osier Yang <jyang at redhat.com> wrote:
>> 于 2011年02月12日 11:52, Nirmal Guhan 写道:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Has anyone used libvirt to start/stop/manage LXC (linux containers) ?
>>> Is it supported at all? Last I tried, had few issues and the reply was
>>> :
>>
>> Yes, it's supported, though still much work to do, but the basic is
>> there.
>>

>>> ///
>>> Note that libvirt lxc driver is a different implementation from lxc tools
>>> and doesn't use lxc tools internally.
>>
>> Indeed, it doesn't invoke lxc tools.
>>
>> You may not be able to do what
>>>
>>> you are doing with lxc tools. Especially, the driver doesn't take aware
>>> of files and settings inside a container at all. You have to prepare them
>>> by yourself in advance
>>
>> libvirt.org has the example, e.g. the busybox example, I guess it could
>> explain "the driver doesn't take care of files and setting inside a
>> container at all, you have to prepare them by yourself in advance."
>>
>> Regards
>> Osier
>
> Thanks. Will give a try.
> ~nirmal

Seeing some strange behavior running fedora 12 for both host and lxc container.
I do a define, start and console :

[root at fedora12new lxc-libvirt-scripts]# virsh -c lxc:// console testf12new
Connected to domain testf12new
Escape character is ^]
--> I press enter here and virsh exits.

I don't get login prompt always. Sometimes I do and when I try to
login it rejects my password. Apparently, the same rootfs works fine
with lxc tools and I can login.

Snippet from  etc/event.d/tty1 :
respawn
exec /sbin/mingetty pts/0

I use "exec /sbin/mingetty tty1" for lxc tools and that works fine. I
had to try pts/0 for libvirt since tty1 does not even get me the
occasional login prompts I get with pts.

Also even after virsh shutdown, I see that the container processes do
not exit. Is there something else I should do?

~nirmal