[libvirt-users] libvirt, snapshots, LVM, and existing VMs

Casey Link unnamedrambler at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 03:49:02 UTC 2011

Thanks for the info. Those xml files will be invaluable.

> How to create the logical pool, refer to:
> http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=tree;f=tests/storagepoolxml2xmlin;h=92d08b31073ade34bc2112694219030130fc5bd1;hb=HEAD

Looking at the pool-logical*.xml, pool-logical.xml will not harm an
existing data on disk, correct? Whereas pool-logical-create.xml will
attempt to create a new VG (and could cause data loss)?

> How to create the logical volume with backing store, refer to:
> http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=tree;f=tests/storagevolxml2xmlin;h=ed26441f354c5183499eae14b56e280fe36c1da6;hb=HEAD

Since I already have LVM setup, and an active VG should I just omit
the following from my logical vol xml?
<source>
   <device path='/dev/sda2'>
     <extent start='31440502784' end='33520877568'/>
   </device>
 </source>
 <capacity>2080374784</capacity>
 <allocation>2080374784</allocation>

You can understand I'm somewhat hesitant to do this, as I don't want
to destroy or overwrite any existing data.

Best,
Casey