[libvirt-users] How to proceed after Libvirt compilation? [Problem]

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Mon Jan 10 13:23:29 UTC 2011

On 10/01/2011, at 9:43 PM, Lucas Arbiza wrote:
> I'm using Ubuntu 10.10.
>
> At first I installed Libvirt from repositories. Due to problems I removed it and then I installed from sources this way:
>
> # ./configure --prefix=$HOME/usr
> # make
> # make install
> # ldconfig
>
> The installation gone well. I added the users to libvirtd and rebooted.
>
> When I type virsh I receive from system a message saying virsh is not installed and instructing to install from repository.
>
> Someone know what should I do or where I can find it?

Hi Lucas,

It *sounds* like this might be a simple one to solve (hopefully). :)

If you take a look in the $HOME/usr/bin/ directory, is there a "virsh" command there?

If so, then it just means you're missing this directory from the PATH statement, so virsh isn't being found.

If it's not there, something didn't go right with the "make install" step.  Might be a permissions problem.

(Of the two, it sounds more like it's the first one, a PATH problem.)

Does that help?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift