[libvirt-users] Allocating Sockets Cores and Threads.

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Thu Jan 20 06:04:46 UTC 2011

On 18/01/2011, at 9:25 PM, joe fu wrote:
> I'm checked out my /proc/cpuinfo file and I'm finding the following changes.
>
> Physical ID : 0
> Siblings : 1
> core id :0
> cpu cores :1
> apicid :0
> initial apicid:0
>
> This is what I noticed when I edited the vm with this ...
> <cpu>
>     <topology sockets='1' cores='2' threads='4'/>
>  </cpu>

Hi Joe,

Looking at the same part of the XML description as you did:

  http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsCPU

You're right, in that it shows we have some kind of capacity to process that info.

Some questions that might help us find the answer:

 + What's the virtualisation host you're trying this out on?

     i.e. KVM/Xen/vSphere/ESX/VirtualBox/etc

 + Which version of libvirt is it running?

 + What guest OS's have you tried with?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift