[libvirt-users] libvirt, snapshots, LVM, and existing VMs

Casey Link unnamedrambler at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 08:01:02 UTC 2011

Hello,

I am running libvirt 0.8.3 with a couple VMs using a LVM VG that I had
previously setup on my host. I did not use the storage pool
functionality of libvirt to create the VG in the first place
('pool-list' is empty).

Now I want to be able to take snapshots of the VMs. Having read this
indeed support taking snapshots of VMs on an LVM. I suppose I need to
create storage pool that includes the <backingStore> element. However,
I am not sure how to go about creating this pool and making my
existing VMs utilize it.

Is what I am trying to do even possible? If so, what is the proper way
to go about doing it?

Best,
Casey Link

[1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2009-February/msg00196.html