[libvirt-users] git repository access via HTTPS

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Mon Jan 24 14:27:55 UTC 2011

On 24/01/2011, at 11:42 PM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
<snip>
> Err, http:// access works fine with gitorious. I think
> you simply didn't wait long enough. GIT's  HTTP access
> mechanism is seriously inefficient, and doesn't appear
> to give you ongoing progress feedback like the git://
> protocol, so expect to wait a while. I've verified I
> can clone the main GIT repo over http in about 2 minutes
> using:
>
> git clone http://git.gitorious.org/libvirt/libvirt.git

Thanks Daniel.  Tried http again (first time today) and this
time it worked:

  $ time git clone http://git.gitorious.org/libvirt/libvirt.git
  Cloning into libvirt...

  real	9m57.209s
  user	0m11.130s
  sys	0m5.670s
  $

~10 mins, but still, at least it worked.

For the gnulib submodule, I'm thinking it might be possible
to use a tarball as a workaround.

Fyodor, are you ok to try something?

If you can grab this tarball (41MB):

  http://justinclift.fedorapeople.org/gnulib_commit_2f41af65.tar.bz2

Extract it somewhere (ie /tmp/gnulib), then set the
GNULIB_SRCDIR environment variable to point to it prior to doing
the libvirt pieces.

  $ export GNULIB_SRCDIR=/tmp/gnulib
  $ git clone http://git.gitorious.org/libvirt/libvirt.git
  $ cd libvirt
  $ ./autogen.sh

That *might* work.  Not for sure, but probably worth trying.

+ Justin