[libvirt-users] Guest interface info under ESX driver

Sengor sengork at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 14:00:53 UTC 2011

Thanks for the speedy replies guys, much appreciated.

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Matthias Bolte
<matthias.bolte at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Currently libvirt doesn't provide a function to get the IP address of
> a domain's network interface.
>
> Might be a useful addition as libvirt can know/determine the IP
> address in several cases.

It'd be an useful addon to libvirt, as at the moment there are not
many mature Python interface libraries for ESX.

> The domain XML doesn't contain the IP address (yet).
>
> With VMware tools installed in the guest it might be possible to
> obtain the IP address via the vSphere API, I didn't test this yet.

Yes VMware Tools need to be deployed within the guest OS for the IP to
be visible even to ESX itself.

I think I'll resort to using ESX's own API interface to query this
piece of info (possibly via pywbem). An example of such use is
available @ http://www.linuxdynasty.org/howto-list-virtual-machines-using-python-and-cim-part-2.html

Regardless will keep using libvirt for the remainder of functionality
I'm after.

--
sengork