[libvirt-users] Unable to start libvirtd 0.9.3 on Ubuntu 10.10

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 13 08:52:46 UTC 2011

2011/7/13 Heath Petersen <HeathPetersen at kandre.com>:
> I just built libvirt 0.9.3 on my Ubuntu 10.10 box.  It appears to have built
> correctly.
>
> When I try "virsh -c qemu:///session list --all" I get the following:
>
> error: Failed to connect socket to '@/home/heath/.libvirt/libvirt-sock':
> Connection refused
> error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
>
> After that, libvirtd isn't running as user heath as it did when I was using
> 0.9.2.  When I run it with LIBVIRT_DEBUG=1 I get this:

Your problem is probably caused by a partly rewrite of libvirtd that
introduced a regression in the libvirtd.conf file handling. When
libvirtd is running as non-root it tries to read
$HOME/.libvirt/libvirtd.conf. Before 0.9.3 it was non-fatal if this
file wasn't there. In 0.9.3 this is fatal.

You can either touch $HOME/.libvirt/libvirtd.conf to avoid the problem
or apply this patches on top of 0.9.3 to fix it

http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=commit;h=8e2e47803c0028b42b72c45b81e91de7b0cbb7fe
http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=commit;h=a07c81c4d0befc1e92b9cf3ce25260488a6bdcdb

--
Matthias Bolte