[libvirt-users] with current libvirt git virsh expects vbox, refuses kvm define

Whit Blauvelt whit.virt at transpect.com
Wed Jul 27 03:52:17 UTC 2011

> What's the output of "# virsh -V" on your second ubuntu box? I guess
> your libvirt on that box might not be compiled with qemu driver.

# virsh -V
Virsh command line tool of libvirt 0.9.3 ...

Compiled with support for:
 Hypervisors: QEmu/KVM UML OpenVZ VirtualBox LXC ESX Test
 Networking: Remote Daemon Network Bridging Nwfilter VirtualPort
 Storage: Dir Filesystem SCSI Multipath LVM
 Miscellaneous: SELinux Secrets Debug Readline

> Another possiablity is the libvirt is compiled with both qemu driver and
> vbox driver, but when you try to creat a new connection, vbox was the
> first succesfully connected one. In this case, you can try like below:

Why? Ah, I do have a couple stray vbox processes somehow:

root     25265  0.0  0.1  86076  4304 ?        S    19:34   0:00 /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxXPCOMIPCD
root     25274  0.0  0.1 209964  6672 ?        Sl   19:34   0:02 /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxSVC --pipe 4 --auto-shutdown

But that should cause it to deny it knows how to handle Qemu/KVM?

> # virsh -c qemu:///sytem list --all

Okay, that one works.

> Or you can set the ENV variable VIRSH_DEFAULT_CONNECT_URI or
> LIBVIRT_DEFAULT_URI to the URI of the hypervisor you want to connect to.

The first (at least) also works. Thanks.

Whit