[libvirt-users] VirtualBox headless

Rodolfo Viana rodolfodelimaviana at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 12:44:35 UTC 2011

I have the same problem. I've already tried to start vbox vm without GUI but
I couldn't do it.

Christian, as it seems that you've managed to do it successfully, could you
help us out in this task?

If not, does anyone here have a way to do it? Or is it impossible with
current libvirt code?

thanks in advance!

2011/7/25 Guilherme Santos <guisgb13 at gmail.com>

> My objective is also to run headless virtual machines through libvirt
> library.
> I am using an Ubuntu 10.04 distro and libvirt 0.9.2.
>
> Before asking you guys about it, I searched on the web and found this:
>
> Hi,
>>
>> thanks for your hint.
>>
>> I read the lines in the documentation, but unfortunately editing the xml
>>

>> within virsh lead to the errors.
>>
>> The Solution to a headless domain was to edit the XML file from bash and
>> then
>>
>> #virsh: define <domainname.xml>
>>
>> to reload the new values for the graphics type of the machine.
>>

>> Obvioulsy something went wrong when editing "live"....
>>
>> Regards,
>> Christian
>>
>> Am 24.06.2010 18:27, schrieb Jean-Baptiste Rouault:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Something like this should work, as can be seen in the
>>

>> > documentation here : http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsGraphics
>> >
>> > <drivers>
>> >   <graphics type='rdp' autoport='yes' />
>>

>> > </drivers>
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Jean-Baptiste

> Unfortunately this isn't working for me.
> Following is my XML configuration:
>
> <domain type='vbox'>
>   <name>THEDOMAIN</name>
>   <uuid>33f6e188-1479-46f4-9d90-4d5a2d3a30f2</uuid>
>   <memory>393216</memory>
>   <currentMemory>393216</currentMemory>
>   <vcpu>1</vcpu>
>   <os>
>     <type arch='i686'>hvm</type>
>     <boot dev='hd'/>
>     <boot dev='cdrom'/>
>   </os>
>   <features>
>     <acpi/>
>   </features>
>   <clock offset='localtime'/>
>   <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
>   <on_reboot>destroy</on_reboot>
>   <on_crash>destroy</on_crash>
>   <devices>
>     <disk type='file' device='disk'>
>       <source file='/local/vbox-shared.vdi' />
>       <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
>     </disk>
>     <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
>       <source file='/local/ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso' />
>       <target dev='hdc' bus='ide'/>
>     </disk>
>     <interface type='user'>
>       <mac address='08:00:27:9a:d0:63'/>
>       <model type='Am79C973'/>
>     </interface>
>     <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
>     <graphics type='rdp' autoport='yes' />
>     <video>
>       <model type='vbox' vram='12' heads='1'>
>         <acceleration accel3d='no' accel2d='no'/>
>       </model>
>     </video>
>   </devices>
> </domain>
>
> When I run command
>
> *virsh start THEDOMAIN*
>
> it is popping up the following error message:

> [...]

Rodolfo de Lima Viana
Undergraduate in Computer Science at UFCG
LSD - Distributed Systems Laboratory