[libvirt-users] with current libvirt git virsh expects vbox, refuses kvm define

Whit Blauvelt whit.virt at transpect.com
Wed Jul 27 14:07:27 UTC 2011

> That's not how libvirt works. The architecture is different than you
> seem to expect it.

Matthias,

Even with all you say - and I thank you for your patient explanation - there
remains a question: Why should 0.9.3+ git suddenly decide that the default
driver should be vbox, when 0.8.3 and 0.9.2 and 0.9.3, all on the same
system, and the second two similarly compiled with their defaults from the
tar, went to kvm instead?

There was no other change on the system. And the vbox processes I found
appear to have been started by libvirt itself, since vbox hasn't been run on
this system in over a year, during which time it's been rebooted without
vbox being invoked at all.

If kvm is on the system as an option - which it has been all along - it
should be the libvirt default. KVM is the preferred hypervisor for all the
major distros. Having the libvirt default be a random, round robin selection
rather by ordered priority, in which kvm if available comes out on top, is
not good design.

Regards,
Whit