[libvirt-users] [Qemu-devel] SSH console for qemu

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Jul 7 18:19:55 UTC 2011

On 07/07/2011 02:36 AM, Nikita A Menkovich wrote:
> Seems no, I think, that the best way is running some kind of ssh
> daemon, that connects to console (/dev/vcsa1 for example), that listen
> on port and send to output console events on boot, and allow to work
> with server with simple ssh client. Also important feature will be
> saving history of output.

If you're trying to capture boot events, then you have to have an SGA
(serial graphics adaptor) capable BIOS that can output boot events on
the serial console.  There's recent work underway to add that feature to
qemu, and to expose that feature from libvirt:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-July/msg00174.html

Setting up an ssh daemon in the guest is too late - the daemon won't be
set up until the guest has already booted, so there's no way to have
that daemon forward boot messages back to the host in a timely manner.
I think you're trying too hard - 'virsh console' really is the way to
read all messages output to the guest's console, and your only missing
piece is that you also appear to want BIOS to output to the console.