[libvirt-users] Is libvirt supported on Citrix Xenserver?

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 14 13:37:29 UTC 2011

2011/7/14 G Naresh Kumar <naresh.gadepalli at gmail.com>:
> Hi Maththias,
> Thanks for the help. I finally was able to compile/install libvirt on
> xenserver.
>
> I tried compiling the libvirt 0.9.2 with xen api support. Was able to
> install it successfully. When I tried giving the virsh command, I got an
> ‘authentication failed’ error as shown below.
>
> # virsh -c xenapi://<my local ip>
> Enter username for <mylocalip>: root

Here you entered root

> Enter intel123's password for <my local ip>:

but here it asks for intel123's, that's unexpected. Did you edit this
one before mailing it, or is there really this mismatch?

> error: authentication failed: (null)

Outputting (null) here is actually a bug. The only way this can happen
is when the login attempt fails but the XenServer doesn't provide an
error message. Maybe have a look at the XenServer logs to see if it
says something about a failed login attempt.

> I also tried connecting to the local machine as below,
>
> virsh -c "xenapi:///"
> error: authentication failed: Server name not in URI
> error: failed to connect to the hypervisor

The XenAPI driver expects a server name. xenapi:/// _could_ be treated
as xenapi://localhost, but it's not implemented that way.

> Also I am trying to install ruby-libvirt on xenserver, which looks like
> requires libvirt-devel package to be installed. How do I build it from the
> libvirt 0.9.2 source package.

Running 'make rpm' should build an libvirt-devel RPM package for you.

--
Matthias Bolte
http://photron.blogspot.com