[libvirt-users] Shared Folders

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 7 13:20:55 UTC 2011

2011/6/7 Guilherme Santos <guisgb13 at gmail.com>:
>> A shared folder will
>> probably just map to this XML snippet:
>>
>> <filesystem type='mount'>
>>   <source dir='/home/guilhermesgb/Desktop/SharedFolder'/>
>>
>>   <target dir='myshare1'/>
>>
>> </filesystem>
>
> I see. I also tried this XML configuration you gave as an example, but it
> wouldn't work. And now I know why...
>
>> <shareddir fstype="ext4" path="/home/guilhermesgb/Desktop/SharedFolder"
>> mount_tag="SharingName" security_model="passthrough" />
>>
>> Where did you find this? This is not libvirt XML.
>
> I found it searching through Google:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/libvir-list@redhat.com/msg27808.html - altough I
> just used it as a last resort, as anything else would work.

Ah, that was just some idea that never got implemented.

> We have chosen to use libvirt in order to deal, in a generalized way, with
> the
> process of starting virtual machines, stopping them, executing remote
> commands and creating shared folders.
> As we saw that libvirt cannot handle with executing remote commands without
> any manual configuration by us (setting up consoles, through ssh, etc.), we
> will basically use a shared folder to store scripts that are to be executed
> by the guest, and the guest would have a running daemon that monitors this
> shared folder and executes everything in it.
>
> Do you know how could I share a folder with a VBox guest through actual
> Libvirt code?

Oh, I missed to CC you on this patch:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-June/msg00315.html

That makes libvirt support VirtualBox shared folders.

> We are also trying to do this through the Java binding, but it won't work
> either. As you said, it's not supported yet.
> We will eventually have to do this for all other hypervisors supported by
> Libvirt, so I'd like to know: which hypervisors have this shared folder
> funcionality supported by Libvirt?

The <filesystem> element is supported for Qemu and also for LXC and
OpenVZ judging by the codebase.

Matthias