[libvirt-users] Shared Folders

Guilherme Santos guisgb13 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 19:39:53 UTC 2011

Good afternoon. I am sending this email because I had a problem while trying
to use your patch.

I was using libvirt version 0.8.5 before you send this patch. I upgraded it
to version 0.9.2, then I applied your patch.

I can see that libvirt properly communicated with VBox hypervisor and added
the shared folder but when I started it, my domain boots and initializes
until a certain point where, strangely, it restarts the VM again, and so
this process keeps repeating indefinitely. Maybe this is happening when the
domain tries to mount the shared folder.

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and version 0.9.2 of libvirt. Before installing
version 9.04 I run command make uninstall and then downloaded 0.9.2's tar.gz
from the libvirt website. Once I wasn't sure if the problem was caused by
your patch, I tried to start a VM without libvirt (through VirtualBox OSE)
and it started using the same virtual disk with no problem. My libvirt
version went back to 0.9.0 and then, without patching, I tested it to see if
libvirt would start my domain properly, but the problem remained.

I repeated all the previous steps in another machine and this problem
happened there also, even after it went through the patching process.

With that in mind, we'd like to talk more with you about this shared folder
feature supported by Libvirt.
Me and my team are working on an open source project called Ourgrid, which
is a middleware for grid computing (http://www.ourgrid.org/).
We use virtual machines for remote sandboxed execution. Currently we support
VBox and VServer hypervisors. However, we want it to have an uniform
handling. That's when we found out that Libvirt seemed to handle many
virtualization hypervisors, and then we thought using Libvirt could be a
good idea.

We know that some hypervisors don't provide an easy way to send remote
commands to be executed by the domain, so we think that the most general way
to handle with all of them is using a shared folder and having a deamon
running in the previously configured domain that monitors this shared folder
that executes the scripts staged in the folder.

But as far as we know, the shared folder feature is not fully developed yet
for all hypervisors supported by Libvirt.

We are not very experienced in C programming, neither in Libvirt code, so
we'd like to know if this feature (for all, or most of all hypervisors
provided by libvirt) is expected in the Libvirt development agenda or is it
something out of its scope.

If this is out of your development agenda, we are very keen to try
implementing it, once this is a major issue for us.
Obviously, any help/suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks.