[libvirt-users] Boot delay

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Mon Jun 13 15:21:02 UTC 2011

On 13.06.2011 15:25, Jeff wrote:
> Is there a method of tweaking the boot sequence of a KVM instance so that you can delay the process for X number of seconds? I don't have enough time between starting the KVM and connecting via VNC.

You might consider using virt-viewer. It simply waits for domain to
boot, if it is down.

Your other option is to create hook script:
http://libvirt.org/hooks.html
and put conditional sleep there, because libvirt just before running a
domain tries to execute qemu with some arguments (e.g. -help) to qeury
its capabilities. And you don't want your hook script to delay that.

So you need something like this:

if [ $2 == "start" ]; then
        sleep 5
fi