[libvirt-users] Starting libvirtd cuts off host access to external network

PLD sa212+libvirt at cyconix.com
Thu Jun 23 23:14:50 UTC 2011

I've spent some hours on this without success - any help greatly
appreciated.

I've just done a new RHEL6 setup, with a KVM guest (first time). The
basic installation works fine until I start libvirtd; at this point, the
host machine loses access to the external network:

step 1: ping from host to network works; external machine on network can
ping both eth0 and br1 on the host

step 2: /sbin/service libvirtd start

step 3: ping from host to network fails; external machine on the network
can't ping either eth0 or br1 on the host

Stopping libvirtd (/sbin/service libvirtd stop) makes no difference -
the network remains unreachable.

Any idea why this would happen? I have installed a kvm guest, using the
default network script at /etc/libvirtd/qemu/networks/default.xml
(although I've changed the IP addresses to be on my subnet, and the DHCP
server returns only one address).

I have also configured a bridge; I've attached ifcfg-eth0, ifcfg-eth1,
and ifcfg-br1 below. I haven't changed any iptables configuration. If I
run the guest (also RHEL6) the guest can talk to the host, but it can't
see the outside world.

Thanks -

Paul

ifcfg-eth0: