[libvirt-users] guest creation problem on pv dom0 kernel

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 10:41:11 UTC 2011

I am having problem in guest creation for a pv-ops Dom0 kernel
I compiled every thing from scratch.(Xen and 2.6.32.27 pv-ops dom0 kernel)
on a Ubuntu Desktop 10.04 64 bit.
Following is my config file for 2.6.32.27
http://pastebin.com/AvSVgVQE
and the error  I am getting trying to create a guest  with virt-install is

ERROR    unable to connect to 'localhost:8000': Connection refused
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/virt-install", line 943, in <module>
   main()
 File "/usr/bin/virt-install", line 715, in main
   conn = cli.getConnection(options.connect)
 File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/virtinst/cli.py", line 162, in
getConnection
   conn = open_connection(connect)
 File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/virtinst/cli.py", line 177, in
open_connection
   open_flags)
 File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/libvirt.py", line 111, in openAuth
   if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virConnectOpenAuth() failed')
libvirtError: unable to connect to 'localhost:8000': Connection refused

I am able to see xm info output but some how the guest creation is failing.

I could be wrong, but this doesn't appear to be a kernel problem. Especially
if xm info is working, so the xen service has started already.
Maybe my libvirt version doesn't know how to use the xen 4.0 utils or the
pvops kernel?

I  tried creating a guest by virt-manager also which when installed via
 apt-get install ubuntu-virt-server ubuntu-virt-mgmt
installs following
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/<http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/libvirt-bin>
ubuntu-virt-server
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/<http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/libvirt-bin>
ubuntu-virt-mgmt

Now when I open virt-manager the option to create guest by installing  from
a   ISO present on hard disk locally or even
PXE are greyed out.virt-manager version is 0.8.2

virsh version
Compiled against library: libvir 0.7.5
Using library: libvir 0.7.5
Using API: QEMU 0.7.5
Running hypervisor: QEMU 0.12.3

This above output is wrong as instead of QEMU it should show Xen.
I installed it via apt-get install libvirt-bin
when you do an apt-get install libvirt-bin python-libvirt then it installs
following
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/libvirt-bin
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/python-libvirt

It appears it is a problem with libvirt-bin and it does not know how to
create a pv-ops Dom0 guest.
The machine where I am trying all this is a non VT 64 bit machine and trying
to create 32 bit guests on it.
Can some one confirm me the same or tell what did I missed in above?
--
http://mightydreams.blogspot.com