[libvirt-users] Connecting to Standalone KVM

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Fri Mar 4 19:10:35 UTC 2011

On 03/04/2011 01:47 PM, Markiewicz, Patrick F (N-No Laurels) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can virsh be used to connect to a standalone KVM?  I.e. I started a
> KVM from the command line, and I wondered how to connect to it.  Virsh
> list shows no VMs.  Thanks.

No. libvirt (and consequently virsh) only knows about guests that were
defined/created/started via the libvirt API.

There is a virsh command to help you convert from your hand-written qemu
commandline to a libvirt domain XML - "virsh domxml-from-native". You'll
still have quite a bit of work left when it's done, but it's a start. If
your concern is having access to qemu's monitor interface, virsh in
newer versions of libvirt has the command "virsh qemu-monitor-command",
which is 100% unsupported, but available.