[libvirt-users] ESX networking functions

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 31 11:28:57 UTC 2011

2011/3/31 James Barkley <james.barkley at gmail.com>:
> Greeetings,
> Using the latest git snapshot I noticed that none of the networking
> functions are implemented in the ESX driver. No listing networks, no adding
> networks, etc. This functionality seems to be fully implemented for most of
> the other drivers and I don't see it on the "todo" wiki. Does anyone have an
> idea if/when this might get implemented? Would others be interested if I
> were to add it and submit it as a patch?
> -jb

The networking functions aren't implemented yet, because the ESX and
the libvirt network model don't map directly. I didn't have time to
figure this out in all the necessary details yet. I'll have only
limited time to spent on libvirt and ESX development in the next
months, so I cannot give an ETA for any new features in the driver.

Regarding the implementation, once we have a sound mapping the
implementation should be the easy part.

If you want to work on that area I suggest you start by getting
familiar with the libvirt and the ESX networking model and then define
a suitable mapping between them. This might require extensions to the
libvirt network model to handle the vSwitch concept of ESX.

There might also be a legacy problem to solve. Currently the ESX port
groups are used a bridges in the libvirt domain XML config. Actually
they should be used as virtual networks. This is a shortcoming in my
original design of the ESX driver.

IIRC, Daniel P. Berrange mentioned a while ago that he is planning to
add such a virtual switch concept to libvirt. There is also vSwitch
item on the todo page.

Matthias