[libvirt-users] [Libvir] libvirt & vde_switch

Robert Šmol robert.smol at stereoit.com
Sun May 1 21:28:34 UTC 2011

On 04/28/2011 04:35 PM, Laine Stump wrote:
> On 04/28/2011 09:56 AM, Robert Šmol wrote:
>> For my needs I would like to see either vdeswitch or openvswitch
>> integrated in the project. Is there any preference from the
>> users/developers on which one of those I should start looking into?
>
> Are you volunteering to write some code? :-)
>
> There have been requests for both, and both should eventually be done,
> so I guess pick whichever one you like better :-) (since there's
> already a patch for VDE, albeit with different XML than we'd like,
> that may be quicker to finish.)
>
> You may want to follow development of the work I'll point out below,
> though, otherwise you could waste a lot of time.

OK, I'll try to start with vde. I've subscribed now to libvirt-list as well.

>> Also I would like to know how this should be integrated, from the
>> mails I can see devs prefers to have virtual switch present as a
>> network. Can someone describe how the integration should be done?
>> Support for additional features like vlan, QoS?
>
> Once we get into these kinds of questions, it's probably best to
> switch to the developers' list (libvir-list at redhat.com) to get better
> exposure to people writing the code. I'm Cc'ing this message there
> (and switching the Reply-To: as well).
>
> In particular, I recently send an RFC to libvir-list proposing an
> expansion of the <network> XML to remove the hard-coded connection
> between guest interface and host interface for macvtap (type='direct')
> interfaces:
>
>    https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-April/msg00591.html
>
> and in a followup message showed how we could expand on this work to
> provide support for openvswitch (or vde):
>
>    https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-April/msg00640.html
>
> I'm planning to have this code finished and tested within the next two
> months at most (hopefully considerably earlier). If you're interested
> in implementing a <network type='openvswitch'> or <network type='vde'>
> you should subscribe to libvir-list (if you aren't already) so that
> you can follow along.

I am now trying to compile the stuff, but I get:
   CCLD   libvirt_driver_nwfilter.la
libtool: link: require no space between `-L' and `/usr/lib'
make[3]: *** [libvirt_driver_nwfilter.la] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/rsmol/Code/libvirt/src'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/rsmol/Code/libvirt/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rsmol/Code/libvirt'
make: *** [all] Error 2

But I'll figure out eventually.

--
stereoIT - Open Source Technology Partners
http://www.stereoit.com