[libvirt-users] polkit error when starting virt-manager on fedora14

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Wed May 25 20:42:33 UTC 2011

Hi,
I have the following error in syslog when starting virt-manager and
trying to connect:

May 25 16:39:33 sage libvirtd: 16:39:33.525: error :
remoteDispatchAuthPolkit:3846 : Policy kit denied action
org.libvirt.unix.manage from pid 27509, uid 500, result: 512

I can manually start the kvm guest using virsh, but why can't
virt-manager start them?

This is on fedora14 x86_64:

# rpm -qva|egrep 'virt|polkit|qemu'
polkit-qt-0.99.0-2.fc14.x86_64
qemu-img-0.13.0-1.fc14.x86_64
python-virtkey-0.50-8.fc14.x86_64
qemu-kvm-0.13.0-1.fc14.x86_64
polkit-0.98-5.fc14.x86_64
polkit-gnome-0.97-4.fc14.x86_64
libvirt-python-0.8.3-9.fc14.x86_64
virt-viewer-0.2.1-1.fc13.x86_64
gpxe-roms-qemu-1.0.1-3.fc14.noarch
virt-top-1.0.4-3.fc13.x86_64
libvirt-client-0.8.3-9.fc14.x86_64
virtuoso-opensource-6.1.2-1.fc14.x86_64
qemu-common-0.13.0-1.fc14.x86_64
polkit-desktop-policy-0.98-5.fc14.noarch
redland-virtuoso-1.0.12-1.fc14.x86_64
python-virtinst-0.500.6-1.fc14.noarch
libvirt-0.8.3-9.fc14.x86_64
qemu-system-x86-0.13.0-1.fc14.x86_64
virt-manager-0.8.7-2.fc14.noarch

Please let me know what other information I can provide to fix this
problem. I haven't rebooted yet, but I suspect at least that would fix
it?

Thanks,
Alex