[libvirt-users] Problem with listDomains() in Xen

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Nov 11 23:21:25 UTC 2011

[your mailer seems to want to start a new thread rather than replying to
the existing thread, which makes following your mails difficult.  Could
you please fix that?]

On 11/10/2011 09:09 PM, PREETHI RAMESH wrote:
> This question concerns the usage of the listDomains(). When I run this
> piece of code in KVM, it works perfectly fine but throws an array out of
> bounds exception in Xen.
>
>  Connect conn=null;
>  conn = new Connect("xen:///", true);
>  int[] id = conn.listDomains();
>  System.out.println("lD of VM " +id[0]);
>
> Answer I'd got:
> Well, your code assumes that id.length is >= 1, but listDomains() can
> return an empty array when there are no active domains known to
> libvirt. So you need to check id.length before accessing any element
> in the array.
>
> Follow up- I tried accessing the length of the array and it's 0 all the
> time. And there are active domains available.
> In fact, I'm able to getUUID from the domain name. Other functions work
> fine too.

getUUID works on inactive domains.  Are you sure you have active
domains?  Most likely, the array length really is 0 because you haven't
started any of your domains.

Have you looked into using listDefinedDomains(), to see the remaining
persistent domains that are defined but not running?