[libvirt-users] kvm/libvirt can't use vmdk files? qemu: 'vmdk' invalid format

Frank Hauptle frank.hauptle at uwa.edu.au
Tue Nov 15 03:45:02 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I have a RHEL6.1 qemu-kvm  hypervisor running a raw image that I need
for various reasons to convert to vmdk.

I used this process:
qemu-img convert server3.img -O vmdk server3.vmdk

Then I edited the XML file (/etc/libvirt/qemu/server3.xml) like so:

<devices>
<emulator>/usr/libexec/qemu-kvm</emulator>
<disk type='file' device='disk'>
<driver name='qemu' type='vmdk'/>
<source file='/raid5/images/guilder3.vmdk'/>
<target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
<address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' unit='0'/>
</disk>

Which basically means that I changed raw to vmdk in this line:
<driver name='qemu' type='vmdk'/>

but when I try to start the VM, I get this:

Error starting domain: internal error Process exited while reading
console log output: char device redirected to /dev/pts/5
qemu: 'vmdk' invalid format

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 45, in
cb_wrapper
     callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
   File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/engine.py", line 959, in
asyncfunc
     vm.startup()
   File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 1128, in
startup
     self._backend.create()
   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 330, in create
     if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreate() failed', dom=self)
libvirtError: internal error Process exited while reading console log
output: char device redirected to /dev/pts/5
qemu: 'vmdk' invalid format

This bit is telling:  qemu: 'vmdk' invalid format

As a test I tried using libvirt to create a vmdk  and then add it to an
existing VM, and it failed with the same message.
Does this mean that libvirt supports vmdk, but qemu-kvm doesn't?  IF so,
why does libvirt continue to offer it as an option for KVM VM's??

IF this isn't related to libvirt, I apologise, but I'd appreciate any
pointers.

kindest regards

Frank
UWA