[libvirt-users] Libvirt for custom VM

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Oct 7 01:27:39 UTC 2011

On 10/04/2011 02:35 AM, ankur deshwal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to create an application where I can use a single interface for
> different VMs (libvirt becomes an obvious choice then). However I will
> need to control a VM running on custom hypervisor other than ones
> currently supported by libvirt. Is it possible to add a new interface
> to the hypervisor (easily)? Shall I try to use "test-hypervisor"
> supported by libvirt ??

Yes, adding a new hypervisor is intended to be relatively easy - provide
callbacks that implement the semantics for your hypervisor, and it is
okay to do things incrementally.  See some recent posts for how to do
this.  HyperV was just added [1], and the Parallels driver had an
initial proposal [2] (although it still needs a bit more work to be
ready to integrate).  Before that was libxl (I didn't dig up a URL for
that one):

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-August/msg00169.html
[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-September/msg00984.html