[libvirt-users] Live Migration using Libvirt migrate()

PREETHI RAMESH iampreethiramesh at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 10:28:23 UTC 2011

Hi,
This is a follow up of the mail regd migration I'd posted a few days ago. My
scenario:

I'm creating two virtual machines images from an Ubuntu 10.10 iso of RAM
size 128 and 700 MB.

Using the migrate() , I migrate it from the current physical machine to the
destination machine via a 100 Mbps  switch LAN connection. BOTH migrations
take the same amount of time.

Checking out the eth0's transmitted and received bytes after and before the
migration, I find that there's NO change in the readings. Using any other
method to migrate(virsh,Qemu) takes a substantial amount of time(close to 10
seconds) for the 128 and 700 MB images.

How can this drastic change in migration time be accounted for?

Are there any other ways to check if the VM has been successfully migrated
to the destination(i tried using virsh console after migrate() but for some
reason it just hangs. I tried out the suggested patches on various sites but
to no avail)?

Is pinging the migrated VM from its PM a sure test for successful migration?

Thanks guys.