[libvirt-users] Identifying proper CPU type

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 06:56:29 UTC 2011

Hi,

>> I've been working on trying to figure out why my virtual machine keeps
>> crashing [...]  As I'm relatively new to this, I believe I may have
>> misconfigured the XML file to try and maximize the CPU features that
>> are available to the guest from the host.
>
> Is it crashing with default configuration or the tuned one?

It was crashing with the most basic XML config file. It included no
<cpu> section at all.

>> The guest processor still seems to indicate there is only one core,
>
> The CPU number seen by the guest is set in the guest configuration file.
> For example, I create my guests with "virt-install" and the generated XML
> file has a "vcpu" parameter that I may tune.

Yes, I have a vcpu section, where I have limited it to four of the
eight, and it still crashes.

>> despite there being 7 processors?
>
> You have 8 CPU (#0 -> #7)

Oops, yes, meant 8. My point there was, however, that the "cpu cores"
field from /proc/cpuinfo indicates "1", not "4" as it does on the
host, even when I make more than 1 core available to the guest.

Thanks again,
Alex