[libvirt-users] live migration error without shared storage

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Oct 28 20:26:15 UTC 2011

On 10/28/2011 12:54 AM, Luengffy XUE wrote:

>> As to the actual error, I'm not sure if I can offer advice until I try to
>> reproduce it, but I do know that --copy-storage-all hasn't received as much
>> testing.  Make sure that an empty file exists on the destination prior to
>> the migration attempt, in case the error is stemming from qemu on the
>> destination unable to open the file with SELinux permissions in force.
>>

> I  have created the right image file on the destination host.I have already
> reardown the apparmor. I want to know how to shut down the selinux on the
> ubuntu server.

SELinux and AppArmor are competing security measures, and tend to not be
installed on the same machine.  SELinux is typically Fedora-based, while
Ubuntu favors AppArmor - but I'm not familiar enough with AppArmor to
know if that would be the root cause of your problems.

>> Also, what version of libvirt are you using?  Newer libvirt tries harder to
>> avoid the lame error messages from qemu being unable to start a migration
>> without giving any reasons why.
>>

> The version of libvit I am using is:
>
> Compiled against library  :  libvir 0.8.8
> Using library:      libvir  0.8.8
> Using API :  QEMU 0.8.8
> Runing hypervisor: QEMU 0.14.0

Are you comfortable building libvirt yourself?  The latest version is
0.9.6, and has had some improvements in helping diagnose the causes of
migration failures.