[libvirt-users] Libvirt daemon usage question

Trey Dockendorf treydock at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 13:06:03 UTC 2011

I could use some help with clarification on the use of the libvirtd daemon
with regards to managing remote KVM instances.  Right now I have a CentOS 6
KVM server (libvirt-0.8.1), but would like to use some management
applications that require higher version (0.8.8).  First, is it possible to
run the libvirtd daemon from within a VM, or does it require active kvm
kernel module?  Secondly, could a daemon running in say Fedora 15 (0.8.8) be
used to communicate with my CentOS 6 daemon (0.8.1).  Does this sort of
model present a problem if the KVM host is not using the same or close to
the same version as the remote libvirtd?

My understanding of how to use libvirtd remotely is a bit weak, so any
clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
- Trey