[libvirt-users] Libvirt daemon usage question

Trey Dockendorf treydock at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 22:52:10 UTC 2011

On Sep 14, 2011 5:13 PM, "Eric Blake" <eblake at redhat.com> wrote:

> [let's keep the list in the loop]
>

> On 09/14/2011 04:07 PM, Trey Dockendorf wrote:
>>>
>>> Given your original qeustion, if your management apps really do require
>>
>> 0.8.8 APIs, then you'll need to upgrade libvirtd on your CentOS host to
be
>> at least 0.8.8 in order to honor your management app requests, or else
>> modify your management app to gracefully implement fallbacks to older API
>> approaches that were available in 0.8.1.
>>>

>> How risky is it to implement a newer version of libvirt in something like
>> centos?  I figure based on the huge number of dependencies that its not
>> something to safely do.  So far we building my libvirt rpms Ive only used
>> the same source for the version with centos and the libvirt specs
provided
>> in the fedora src rpms.  Do the specs know to check for specific versions
of
>> dependencies?
>

> There's not that many source dependencies for building a newer libvirt
out-of-the-box on top of CentOS.  You might also find
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Virtualization_Preview_Repository as a useful
example for the amount of effort involved in running newer virt tools on top
of an otherwise stable repository.  Also, search the list archives; the
topic of installing the latest libvirt on CentOS or RHEL 5 has come up
several times recently, with various tidbits of good advice.

> --
> Eric Blake   eblake at redhat.com    +1-801-349-2682

Ah sorry, didnt mean to send off list.  First time replying from my phone.

Ill check that out, thanks.  Ive seen that repo and will hopefully be able
to get a test system together.  What should I look out for when attempting
an upgrade from the CentOS release( 0.8.1)?  My worry is it will look like
everything works while testing and I wont find the bugs in this idea until I
move it to my production server.

Thanks
- Trey