[libvirt-users] virsh edit problems

Robin Lee Powell rlpowell at digitalkingdom.org
Mon Sep 26 20:30:19 UTC 2011

I've got a problem where I can't access my console (well, I can',
but I can't type in a password), which I don't think is a libvirt
issue but any help or commentary is certainly welcome
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.kvm.devel/79561 , and
I'm trying to debug it by trying out different console/serial
options in my .xml file, and I can't change them.

What I have now:

    <serial type='pty'>
      <target port='0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>

No matter what I change, whether I use "virsh edit" or edit the
files directly, even with libvirt off, as soon as libvirt notices
(i.e. when I turn it back on) my changes get blown away and it ends
up looking just like the above.  Even as simple a thing as changing
the port number, or removing the console, or adding a second
serial... all gone.

Oh, wait, that's not quite true; adding a second serial *does* work.
But nothing else I've tried does.

What I'm actually trying to do is copy the docs
http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsConsole more closely
and specify my own source paths; I'm worried that the serial and the
console are somehow ending up in the same place and maybe that's
causing my problem?

What I've been trying to do is something like:

    <serial type='pty'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/3'/>
      <target port='0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/4'/>
      <target port='0'/>
    </console>

And it just won't stick.  Maybe that's not even my problem, but it's
not showing any errors, and it's annoying me and I'd like to
understand why.

-Robin