[libvirt-users] new guest with same name as undefined one

Sergio A. Kessler sergiokessler at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 16:04:23 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 09:57, Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 09/26/2011 06:52 AM, David Cohen wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> See if you have a /var/lib/libvirt/qemu/save/your_guest_name.save
>> That might be the ghost of the old guest preventing startup.
>
> Yes, that's exactly what I suspect.  However, directly messing with files
> under /var/lib/libvirt/... is not recommended; rather, you should go through
> public libvirt interfaces; in this case, 'virsh managedsave-remove
> your_guest_name'.

aha, there is !

# ls /var/lib/libvirt/qemu/save
rmdev2.save
# virsh managedsave-remove rmdev2
Removed managedsave image for domain rmdev2
# virsh start rmdev2
Domain rmdev2 started

it seems an easy trap, because the answer of "how do I remove a vm" is
just "undefine vm_name", everytime, everywhere, and however google was
not helping much...

and I didn't know rhel6 is old by now
# rpm -q libvirt
libvirt-0.8.7-18.el6_1.1.x86_64